(Official Film Poster)
Set in a small village at the foot of Mount Cameroon, Beleh examines the relationship between Ekema and his heavily pregnant wife, Joffi. The difficulty she faces in her first pregnancy is made worse by the petulant and selfish demands of her irate and uncompromising husband. It all comes to a head when one morning, things have mysteriously changed in the village, and Ekema (who seems to be the only one aware of the change) gets to spend a day in Joffi's shoes.
Director: Christa Eka Assam
Producers: Christa Eka Assam | Achille Brice
Duration: 26 minutes
Director’s Profile: Christa Eka Assam started her filmmaking career as an actress in 2006. After a couple of years as an actress, in 2010 she attempted her first short film which never made it out of post-production. Undaunted, she made her first completed short film in 2012, DOORMAT, a six-minute short which got her selected to be a participant at the 5th Talent Campus Durban that same year. BELEH is her second short film.
Opening film's' Palmares:
- Film Africa UK 2013
- Africa International Film Festival, Calabar, Nigeria 2013 (Special Jury Mention)
awards 2013 (Best short film)
- Toronto Black Film Festival 2014
- Winter Film Awards Independent Film Festival, New York 2014
- African Film Festival, New York 2014
- Corti da Sogni, Ravenna, Italy 2014
- International Images Film Festival for Women, Zimbabwe 2014
- US Embassy Swaziland's African Film Festival 2014
- Festival Cinemas d'Afrique, Lausanne, Suisse 2014
- Lights, Camera, Africa, Lagos 2014
- Silicon Valley African Film Festival, California 2014 (official selection)
How is this film selected?
The closing film will be selected from the short films going in for the Best Short Film In Competition Award. The winner of this category will be screened as the closing film of the festival.